|Jump to a Section:|
|What Does a Missionary Do?||How Much Money Does a Missionary Make?||Why Become a Missionary?||Pros and Cons of Being a Missionary?||Missionary Quotes|
A missionary is somebody who is sent on a mission to evangelize the world and to provide humanitarian services as part of the ministry. The services provided may be related to health care, education and literacy, economic development and upholding social justice in a community.
How to become a missionary is not as simple as declaring that one wants to become a missionary. It actually involves several steps to becoming a missionary. The first of this is to find out if this is indeed a true calling for you from God. Knowing that this is your true calling will keep you within this line of work. To know that this is indeed for you, you must search within yourself that powerful desire to serve God and to do his work in your capacity. Trying to discern if this calling is for you is quite difficult.
If you are indeed certain that you are called on a mission, there are several preparations one has to undergo before you are sent off to a mission and it depends on the type of religion you serve.
What Does A Missionary Do?
Missionaries go to places to evangelize and preach the gospel. But modern times have changed the missionary work. Now, they still evangelize and preach the gospel, but they are soliciting the assistance of the people within the area they are assigned towards building a church. Depending on one’s specialization, missionary work now consists of humanitarian services in the fields of education, health care, community development, agriculture and relief work.
How Much Do You Make As A Missionary?
How much a missionary receives as a remuneration of his work depends on the church he is a part of, the location of the mission, the type of mission she/he is in, the experience he has and the added benefits to be determined subjectively. The salary range of someone identified as missionary is between $26,624.00 to $35,000.
Why Become A Missionary?
A calling. That’s what others would respond when they are asked why one would become a missionary. One can make use of the gifts and talents God has given him and it can fulfill his desire to serve other people through missionary work. Lastly, a missionary will have the chance to travel to places and have an adventure.
Pros And Cons Of Being A Missionary
The advantages of being a missionary supersede the disadvantages.
- As a missionary, you will have the chance to travel and experience real adventure.
- Although depending on the church or organization’s policies, missionary work hours is highly flexible; you can work anytime of the day, whenever you feel like it.
- You will have more chances to assess and evaluate yourself against the world around you.
- In spite of the acquisitiveness surrounding you, you will realize that your job is not actually about money. Although you need money to get by, but the real missionary work is fueled by your passion.
It doesn’t mean that because missionary work is a calling from God, it does not have any drawbacks. In this modern world, there are several disadvantages of being a missionary.
- You do not have enough money. You must raise funds to be able to finance your missionary work.
- Getting health insurance is dependent on your own efforts. The churches and the religious organizations which sent you to a mission often leave it to the missionary to secure his own health benefits.
- When you go to a mission, you will not be so sure on where you will live. Unlike other jobs where it is convenient for them to choose a hotel to stay when they travel, missionaries are expected to be with the community and to abide with the vow of poverty.
- People do not see your work as real work. Because the path you tread on in your work is different from those who are working in the corporate world.
“I believe it will only be known on the Last Day how much has been accomplished in missionary work by the prayers of earnest believers at home…I do earnestly covet a volume of prayer for my…work – but oh! For a volume of faith too. Will you give this?” – James Fraser
”I wasn’t God’s first choice for what I’ve done for China. I don’t know who it was. It must have been a man—a well–educated man. I don’t know what happened. Perhaps he died. Perhaps he wasn’t willing. And God looked down… and saw Gladys Aylward. And God said, ‘Well, she’s willing.’” – Gladys Aylward
“If God calls you to be a missionary, don’t stoop to be a king” – Jordan Grooms
“The reason some folks don’t believe in missions is that the brand of religion they have isn’t worth propagating.” – Unknown